This is definitely one question women ask themselves at some point in their life. It seems that when that time of the month arrives, women tend to experience bloating, irritability, and mild cramps, among others. However, crippling period cramps, serious fatigue, and other symptoms significantly affect quality of life, and all that women really want is to find a way to achieve period pain relief.
What is Period Cramps?With period or menstrual cramps, the abdominal cramping – be it mild or intense – starts within 24 hours of the start of a woman’s period. It then continues for a couple of days. There are different symptoms of period pain, some of which are listed below:
Dull and continuous aching
Period cramps that seem to radiate on the lower back and thighs
Cramping or throbbing pain in the uterus during the period
Other women may also experience:
Despite all the pain and discomfort, period pain relief can still be achieved. Here are some of the most sought-after home-care remedies:
- Dietary Supplements – Studies show that some natural dietary supplements which contain omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium prove to reduce period pain.
- Exercise – Yes, there are activities or exercises that can help achieve period pain relief. This includes, but not limited to, jogging, running, yoga, and other mild exercises. They all can ease the pain brought by period cramps.
- Heat – Using a heating pad – or even a microwaveable warm cozy – on the abdomen during the period can result in great period pain relief. It will also help to soak in a hot bath or shower.
- Relaxation – Emotional stress is expected to increase a woman’s period pain. Hence it would be best to try relaxing activities like meditation.
- Stop Smoking and Drinking Alcohol – Both substances can only make period cramps much worse. It would be better to avoid them at all cost.